»I WOULD LIKE TO TASTE THE VARIETY, FINESSE AND POWER INHERENT IN OUR VINEYARDS - AND TO TRANSFER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE INTO THE WINE WITH A GOOD DEGREE OF LIGHTNESS AND MAXIMUM QUAFFABILITY.« Johannes Trapl, winemaker winery Trapl

Carnuntum White

This white blend of 60 % Weißburgunder (Pinot Blanc), 30 % Grüner Veltliner and 10 % Welschriesling is lively and refreshing. The vines are up to 25 years old and grow on calcareous sandy chernozem soils around Stixneusiedl. The grapes are handpicked and whole-bunch pressed. After 48 hours maceration, the must is fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks and oak casks. The wine is then matured for 6 months in stainless steel tanks. This blend shows bright yellow-green colour and typical notes of citrus, wild blossom honey and hazelnut. Its texture is balanced, lush and inciting. This spicy wine pairs perfectly with fish, seafood or pasta dishes.

Karpatenschiefer

This extraordinary white wine owes its name to its origin in Carpathian schist on Spitzerberg. Vines that are more than 40 years old root here in limestone with small schist inclusions. The grapes are carefully handpicked, destemmed and fermented in amphorae. The maceration period lasts for 60 to 90 days. Following this, 50 % of the wine is aged in used oak barrels for 6 months, the other half in amphorae. Medium green-yellow colour, ripe stone fruit and gooseberry aromas, delicate herbal spice, hints of tea and blossom honey characterise the Karpatenschiefer. It is a distinctively spicy, peppery Grüner Veltliner. The juicy texture flatters the palate with ripe tropical fruit, litchi and pear. The lively, playful acidity flows into a finish that echoes with sweet extract and salty minerals. This wine offers tremendous drinking pleasure, especially when paired with cold starters, fish, asparagus or poultry.

Carnuntum Red

The vines for this red blend of Zweigelt (60 %), Blaufränkisch (30 %) and Sankt Laurent (10 %) flourish on sandy-loamy soils around Stixneusiedl. The grapes are handpicked and sorted manually. 80 % of the grapes are destemmed, the remaining 20 % is trodden by foot with the stems. The mash is fermented spontaneously for 6 to 8 days with ambient yeasts and pressed gently. The 6-month maturation takes place in 500-litre wooden barrels, stainless steel tanks and amphorae. No cultivated yeasts, enzymes or fining agents are employed. This blend stands out with its intensive reddish violet colour. In the nose it beguiles with a multifaceted bouquet of herbs and spices underlain with dark cherries and berries. The texture is juicy and elegantly styled. The finish thrills with a mineral touch and tremendous length, which is why it pairs so well with beef, roast duck or venison.

Sankt Laurent Reserve

This wine stems from vines that were planted in Sarasdorf in 2002 on Danube gravel with loess and loam content. Grapes were manually harvested in small crates and then carefully hand sorted again at the winery. 80 % of the grapes were destemmed and trodden by foot. The remaining 20 % were trodden on the stems. The mash was spontaneously fermented with wild yeast and then gently pressed. The subsequent 14-month maturation took place in 500-litre barrels. As always according to our philosophy, no cultivated yeasts, enzymes, or fining agents were employed. In the glass, the Sankt Laurent Reserve exhibits a deep ruby colour with purple highlights. Aromas of dark berries linger over a background of orange zest, delicate herbal spice, and a touch of graphite and tobacco. The structure is juicy and elegantly balanced. The refreshing acidity and well-integrated tannin makes this wine an ideal accompaniment to lamb, game or duck dishes.

Blaufränkisch Reserve

The Blaufränkisch Reserve stems from up to 38-year-old vines that thrive on Danube gravel, loess, loam and limestone soils that dominate the geology around Stixneusiedl and Prellenkirchen. Grapes are manually harvested in small crates and carefully sorted by hand again in the winery. 80 % of the grapes were destemmed and trodden by foot. The remaining 20 % were trodden on the stems. Fermentation began on the mash and concluded in barrels. After 6 to 10 days maceration, the mash was pressed gently. The 14-month maturation took place in 500-litre barrels. No cultivated yeasts, bacteria or fining agents were employed during vinification. Typical for the Blaufränkisch Reserve is its dark ruby colour with purple highlights. The bouquet offers delicate floral nuances, intense notes of blackberry, and a touch of cinnamon and liquorice. Dark berry jam mingles with wild meadow herbs and subtle citrus notes. The structure is complex with elegant, fine tannins and refreshing, juicy acidity. The finish features cassis with spicy-mineral notes. The Blaufränkisch Reserve has superb ageing potential and pairs perfectly with lamb, duck, or game dishes.

Tilhofen

Tilhofen is a blend of Merlot (50 %), Cabernet Sauvignon (45 %) and Zweigelt (5 %) that roots in deep, calcareous sandy-loamy soils in Stixneusiedl vineyards. Each grape variety is manually harvested separately in small crates and sorted again by hand in the winery. Each variety is fermented separately and during fermentation, the pomace cap is submerged either by pumping over or punching down by hand. After 16 to 24 days maceration, the wine is gently pressed and each variety is matured separately for 18 months in 225-litre or 500-litre barrels made of Austrian or French oak. No cultured yeasts, bacteria or fining agents are employed during vinification. Typical for this outstanding blend is its dark ruby colour with purple highlights. Subtle tobacco spice, blackberry fruit, a touch of orange zest and nuances of dark berry jam comprise a fascinating bouquet. Abundant, fine tannin and juicy acidity determine the texture of this wine. Wild cherry notes, sandalwood spice and sweet extract define the inimitable aftertaste of this extraordinary blend. Tilhofen is a superb accompaniment to food and pairs marvellously with lamb, beef or game dishes.

Kirchberg

This Syrah stems from vines that thrive on an east to west facing terraced vineyard slope on soils that are unique to Carnuntum – a very particular type of deep sandy loam found only in Stixneusiedl. Grapes are manually harvested and sorted again by hand at the winery. All of the grapes are then trodden by foot and left to macerate for 10 to 12 days. After fermentation, the wine matures for 14 months in used 225-litre oak barrels under close observation. No cultured yeasts, bacteria or fining agents are employed during vinification. The Kirchberg exhibits a brilliant ruby colour with bright purple highlights. The black cherry bouquet is supported with notes of black cherry and liquorice layered over nuances of orange zest and bitter chocolate. The firm spine of acid and fine tannin structure demonstrate tremendous finesse. The wine is complex, juicy and powerful. The sweetly extracted finish lingers long and features cassis, abundant blackberry and spicy mineral notes. The Kirchberg is an extraordinary accompaniment to food and can even be paired with hearty meat dishes with game, duck, lamb or beef. An exemplary cool climate Syrah!

Spitzerberg

Grapes for this Blaufränkisch were planted at the foot of the Spitzerberg between 1951 and 1968. The vines continue to thrive on loose sediments, sand, granite gneiss and mica schist. This unique Blaufränkisch terroir, completely absent of loam, is found nowhere else in Austria. 80 % of the grapes were destemmed and trodden by foot. The remaining 20 % were trodden on the stems. After 6 to 8 days maceration, the wine was gently pressed. The approximately 14-month maturation took place in 500-litre barrels. No cultivated yeasts, enzymes, fining agents or other additives were employed during vinification. Typical for the Spitzerberg is a dark ruby colour with purple highlights. Cherry fruit over a background of dark berries leads on the bouquet and is found over a background of herbal spice and a touch of liquorice. A balanced play of acidity and firm tannin frame determine the complex mineral structure of the Spitzerberg. Juicy, dark berry fruit dominates the palate and is joined by salty, piquant notes on the long convincing finish. This wine promises good potential for further development and ageing. It is an outstanding accompaniment not only to modern vegetarian cuisine, but also to traditional, hearty lamb or game dishes.

close

 

 

Bestellen

close

Contact

Winery Johannes Trapl


Hauptstraße 16
A – 2463 Stixneusiedl
Tel / Fax. +43 (0) 2169 2404
www.johannestrapl.com



Opening hours (ex cellar sales)


Monday – Friday: 08:00 – 12:00
We would be pleased to welcome you outside opening hours by appointment: +43 (0) 2169 2404.

Follow us

close

Imprint

Published by

Winery Johannes Trapl
Hauptstraße 16
A – 2463 Stixneusiedl
Tel / Fax. +43 (0) 2169 2404

UID ATU 570 59 159

Member of the agricultural chamber of Lower Austria

Information according to § 5 para. 1
E-commerce law

Supervisory authority

District Head Team Bruck an der Leitha

Privacy Policy

Our terms and conditions

Liability notice

Despite careful control of the content, we can not be held responsible for the content of external links and sites.

The content of linked pages is the sole responsibility of their operators.

Concept + Design

Typejockeys

Realisation

Helmut Wandl

Fotos

Reprinted photos courtesy of Steve Haider, Ines Weisz and Michael Hochleitner (Typejockeys).